From Ryzom Wiki
I've been doing quite some patching up on lots of articles the past days, mostly figuring if anyone disagreed with any changes they could change it back. But lastly I'd like to change some stuff on the front page and in this case I'd rather discuss that before making any changes. So I'll throw my proposal out here and let you peck away at it first. (Could do it in chat, yes, but I think forum format works better for discussing a change with a lot of details like this.)
I noticed during all the patching up that we currently have quite a bit of links on the front page to articles that were half-empty or completely non-existent. And meanwhile we have a bunch of proper articles being almost completely ignored because they aren't anywhere on the front page. I also noticed from the popular pages statistics that the articles on the front page are clearly the ones that visitors look at first. So I would like the front page to advertise the articles we actually have rather than the ones we wish we had ;)
Articles currently in obscurity that imo need to be linked to on the front page:
Smaller stuff that needs to be either on the front page or just one click away:
Now the problem is that currently we have two 'blocks' of the front page devoted completely to inhabitants and geography, which I like having there but we'd have real trouble fitting the above pages in there because they're rather narrow categories. If we wanted the above on the front page it'd all have to go in the 'Game Mechanics' box and that one would become overcrowded.
But the News & Events Box currently seems to get hardly any use at all since none of us can be bothered to update it constantly. And having that last update at 19 May right on the front page just makes the wiki look dead. So my suggestion would be to replace that with a "Community Box", and have that box have links to stuff like the chronicles and the art and the event log and also still the news but on a separate page now.
Stuff like Fame and Malus can then possibly go in the Game Basics box instead of the dead links that are currently there, and those dead links can get moved over to the To-Do List.
I'll see if I can make the Sandbox somewhat like I had in mind so you can get a better idea :P
Sidusar 15:27, 12 October 2010 (UTC)
- I agree with the new proposed main page but I think the links to character creation and controls pages should stay and that these should be written up asap. As for the index link, the index page was initially just created to keep track of pages and categorise them to some extent on a high level, seems to have become a permanent fixture though, its still useful though for access into the deeper reaches of the wiki. As for the to-do list, I dont think this has any place on the front page, since this is more an administrative aspect and that the welcome message placed on new user pages has links to how they can better help the wiki.
- Speaking of the wiki looking dead, we should figure out a period of time an article can stay featured and rotate at the end of this period.
- I'll tinker a bit with the sandbox and some pages when I have more time and then we can see about moving the sandbox to the main page if everyone interested likes it.
- -Deadelf 09:16, 13 October 2010 (UTC)
- Alrighty, revised the sandbox, I'm happy with it, and if everyone else is happy shall we move it to its proper place? Btw I left the guid to character creation in, even though it's a deadlink it's something that should be written, eventually.
- -Deadelf 08:47, 20 January 2011 (UTC)
client compilation and configuration wiki
Can I start a wiki about configuring a Ryzom client from the source, without have to download the "official" client? Shackra 03:50, 20 November 2011 (UTC)
- Have you checked this? It is likely more in line with the information you want to post here and might already contain it. Additionally, the default client config file is available here so I don't really see a point in having a copy on this wiki.
- -Deadelf 10:02, 20 November 2011 (UTC)
I am trying to update some pages...
I am trying to update some pages... Now just look for how it works.